Wednesday, December 20, 2006

One Night @ the Call Center



I read this book a few months back. I was not sure whether I should write about the book which has already been read by most of my friends & fellow citizens a long time ago. :)

The story revolves around group of call center workers, The author in this novel has tried to explore delicate interpersonal relationship of call center workers & their harsh working conditions.

It is really difficult to wear an altogether different mask in terms of accent & behaviour while talking to your customers. All this for a job, which is reasonably well paid, but gives no creative satisfaction.

As usual Chetan’s writing style keeps your interest alive. Side by side the main story he has also highlighted how career of a sincere and hardworking employee can go haywire while working under a whimsical & selfish boss.

Unlike Five Point Someone the book has no nostalgic effect on me since I have never come across any call center guy in my life. Only they can tell how truly this story resembles with the real life situation. But as an outsider if some one wants to peep into the lives of this community one should read this book.

4 comments:

Urvashi said...

I liked 'One Night at the Call Center' a lot! In fact I liked it better than Bhagat's first book.

Dawn said...

I have not heard of this book until you said it! I can imagine since call center concept has deep rooted in India it has its pros n cons...!
Will try sometimes to read...
Thanks for sharing
cheers

Anita kumar said...

Manish ji I have heard about this book not read yet, infact just purchased it and will be reading soon. I have heard that he has written lot of negative things about call center work environment ...let me tell you call center is not all that bad place as it is projected ...I have a close expereince with call centers and I can tell you this with conviction ...by the way, let me take this opportunity to thank you for visiting my blog and liking my article on Goa

Manish Kumar said...

अनीता जी नमस्कार
कॉल सेंटर को चेतन भगत ने गलत ढ़ंग से मेरी समझ से project नहीं किया है। मुख्य मुद्दा कॉल सेंटर में काम करने वाले लोगों के working environment को लेकर है जिसका अच्छा विश्लेषण चेतन कर पाए हैं। बाकी पात्रों की निजी जिंदगी में क्या होता है ये तो अलग अलग लोगों को अपने अपने अनुभवों के मुताबिक सत्य से जुड़ी या परे लग सकती हैं।

पर मुझे व्यक्तिगत तौर पर उनकी फाइव प्वाइंट समवन ज्यादा बेहतर लगी थी क्योंकि उसका घटनाक्रम मेरी निजी जिंदगी के ज्यादा करीब था।